Welcome to Lakes Martial Arts in Minneapolis! After months of planning and lots of work (and some waiting), TODAY the American Taekwondo Association (ATA) granted our club license! Yipee! This means we are the very first ATA club in Minneapolis and the newest ATA club in Region 114, a region with many accomplished instructors, world champions, and great people.
Steady persistence pays off, I've learned, and this process is no different. I couldn't have done it without the assistance of many dedicated instructors including Chief Master Robert Jager, Master Hauptman (my instructor on record) at Paragon Martial Arts, and Master Gleisner at Burnsville Martial Arts. In addition, I would like to extend my gratitude to fellow colleagues who played a great role in helping me to become a leader and martial artist including Master Lura Roberts from Paragon Martial Arts along with Mr. Joey Overby and Mr. Kenny Overby at ATA Family Martial Arts in Fort Collins, CO.
The list of requirements to become a school or club owner in the ATA includes:
- Certified Instructor with 500 hours of teaching experience, a 1st degree black belt or higher, and at least 18 years of age.
- Background & Credit Check
- CPR Certification
- Permission from Instructor and Senior Instructor in the region
- ATA License Fee & Application
- General & Professional Liability Insurance with a Sexual Abuse and Molestation Policy
- Writing a business plan, getting the required business licenses from the state and federal government.
What does this mean for students? They can learn the world's most organized, martial art, Songahm Taekwondo, in their neighborhood!
Many of the people you practicing in taekwondo become close friends over the years. Master Lura Roberts is an amazing technician and she taught me many of my fundaments when I was training with Paragon Martial Arts in Colorado. Congrats on your mastership!
5th degree Instructor Joey Overby is an amazing martial artist and he shared with me some great sparring techniques (and he was my center judge in competition, too!).
Here are some of my friends from Paragon Martial Arts where I started training in 2002 in Colorado: